Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Running Shoe

I went for a run on Tuesday night. I have pre-plan the route with MapMyRun, a distance of about 2.8 km, which I only walk for 50m during the run to regulate my breathing. I am quite happy with my progress due to the fact that I started my first run a month ago with only 800 meters of running. Interestingly this is also the longest route I have run voluntarily.

Technologies these days are really of great help to many people in many ways. On measurement of running distance alone, other than using the internet to plan the running route, one can also use watches, mini gadgets or shoes with GPS or pacing software, these devices also have extra functions to measuring other figures like the speed and calories burned, and software to gauge your performance. There are also shoes to fit all kinds of legs, including flat-footers, clothing that are light and remove sweat from your body, MP3s to help you to stay focus and enjoy your run. Medical information on injuries, diet, types of foots, ways of running can be found on the web easily. The list goes on.

What use to be very simple only a decade ago is now a science subject. In my army days, we just put on our vest and shorts, and any fitting pair of the multi-purpose shoe and there we goes. Today, choosing my pair of running shoe alone took me more than one hour, this is the first time it is happening to me, and I used to think that only girls do that, silly me. The sale person first measure my foot, length and width, then they let me walk and run on the treadmill when they determine the type of foot I have, and my walking and running style. Lastly, they narrow down a few models of shoes for me to try on. Along the process, the sale person would explain what and why they checking or doing. And at last, I pay $140 for this Asics GEL-CUMULUS® 9.

No comments: