Friday, November 2, 2007

A New Dream

I started running nearly 3 weeks back, I have not been excising regularly since my R.O.D., so what have trigged this sudden change in my lifestyle? It happens in the last swimming session I had with my elder daughter. As she is still a beginner, I encourage her to challenge herself by swimming the length of the pool. While pacing her, I found that my stamina had deteriorated to an alarming level.

I was a good swimmer in my polytechnic days, I pass my Bronze Medallion test and was a part-time lifeguard of the swimming pool in the polytechnic. Those days were tough, I trained for 8 hour weekly, minimum of 2 km for warming up and 1 km for warming down, but I was at the pink of my health. Though the traning was meant for more advance certification, the Silver Cross, (the test system for lifesaving course have change since then) I did not go for it because of my final year examination.




Now, I have got my wife and my daughters to start running with me. And to give myself some encouragement and determination to continue and excel further, I brought myself a pair of last season’s Asics Kayano from Royal Sporting House for $160, I know it is funny but this is the first time I spent this much for a pair of running shoe. In fact, I did some research and ask around for advice before throwing in my money. I was quite surprise with the recommendations from my friends, brands like Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Fila were not in the list, instead the popular suggestion were New Balance and Asics. Interestingly, I feel that the money was well spend after just one run, beside being comfortable, the aches on my knee and ankles have subside substantially.

I am now running 3 times a week and have more confident with my improving fitness. Being a non-runner half my life, I hope that soon, I would be able to run a half-marathon, maybe even a full marathon with my wife and children.

7 comments:

James Chia said...

Goodness! $160 for that pair of shoes! That's really expensive I would say

BACTS said...

Actually it is not, i brought it at a discount. the original price was $260+, seriously, if the shoe help to protect my knees, it is worth paying. :D

James Chia said...

Heh. I usually buy my sports apparel at Queensway. Much cheaper and they have lots of choice too!

BACTS said...

I used to go there when i was a student. not so much since i move to the north. if you do running a lot, try visit running lab at velocity novena. you'll see the different. by the way, agreed that there are a lot of cheap and good shoe around, not only queensway, but also penisula. :D

James Chia said...

velocity novena? new shopping complex?

Jodan said...

Current season's Kayanos cost at least $170 (2 years ago) @ Queensway after discount.

Pretty good deal, bacts.

Must say that it is one of the best pair of shoes that I had ever came across.

BACTS said...

James, Velocity is the extension at Novena, right above Novena MRT. It is the new sport hub for Singapore, there are Nike, New Balance, WOS, Running Lab and some others. :)

Jodan, the shoes are definitely good, but wasted, realise that it is wrong size for me after visiting Running lab, i end up got myself a pair of Cumulus 9 and give the kayano 12 to my wife. :D